THE HIGH CALLING
Pastor Terry Thompson
Sometimes life can throw a real curveball at you when you least expect it, and it is generally at a time when you are at your most vulnerable. Nobody likes the idea of being rejected yet it happens to us all.
Can you remember Zacchaeus climbing up that sycamore tree? He scampered up the tree just to get a bird’s eye view of Jesus. As soon as Jesus passed under him, He looked up and said, “Zacchaeus make haste come down, for today I must abide at thy house.” (Luke 19:5) Zacchaeus is a living example of the grace of God. He was a man that was openly accepted by the Lord in front of all the people despite his past. Zacchaeus quickly responded and gave half of his goods to the poor, and he said if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I will restore him fourfold. Yet what was the crowd’s reaction? They all murmured (complained) Luke 19:7. Yet Jesus openly accepted him. When Zacchaeus heard about Jesus nothing could hinder him from his goal, he was a man on a mission and public opinion could not stop him!
Luke 19:9 – And Jesus said unto him, this day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
In the book of Mark, it is recorded of a man called Bartimaeus who was blind. He begged at the side of the road coming out of Jericho. When Bartimaeus found out who Jesus was he cried out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.” Now the word cry in the Greek is not just a loud noise, it actually means scream. Jesus was teaching as he walked, and the people were intent with the truths that He was giving. But when they got to where Bartimaeus was crying the people reacted and told him to be quiet.
Mark 10:48a – “And many charged him that he should hold his peace (be quiet):”
But Bartimaeus knew what he needed, and he pushed into his breakthrough.
THE WOMAN WITH THE ALABASTER BOX
Even our closest friends can be a hindrance to our vision when they do not see what you are trying to achieve.
- There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.
- But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, to what purpose is this waste?
- For this ointment might have been sold for much and given to the poor.
- When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
- For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
- For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.
- Verily I say unto you, wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.”
What I am trying to show you is, there is always opposition with every commission the Lord gives us. Whether it is spirit v flesh fight within us or an external fight with the people around us. The struggle always creates growth and maturity if you push through.
Love Y ‘all! Keep under the spout where the glory runs out!!!