Walking in Love, Light, Wisdom, and Worship
Ephesians Chapter 5:1-20
Eph.5:3 But fornication and all uncleanness (perversion) or covetousness, (idolatry) let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints.
5:3 Love has nothing in common with lust, immoral acts or greed. The absence of these motives even in the way you talk sets a standard of excellence. Mirror Translation.
Colossians 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
Ephesians 5:4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5:4 Any distorted language (disfigured, exaggeration), sarcasm or below the belt jokes are uncalled for; much rather let gratitude grace your conversation. Mirror translation
Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech is not becoming to a fool, Much less lying lips to a prince.
Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
Matthew 12:34 “Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
Eph. 5:4 b & c & d nor coarse jesting, (some translations say obscenity, ribaldry) which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. (thanksgiving)
5:4 Any distorted language (disfigured, exaggeration), sarcasm or below the belt jokes are uncalled for; much rather let gratitude grace your conversation. Mirror Translation
Eph.5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
5:5 You cannot live a double-standard life. Abusing people through adultery, lust and greed is like worshipping a distorted image of yourself, which is what idolatry is all about. Mirror Translation
ALL THESE THINGS WERE ASSOCIATED WITH THE PAGAN TEMPLES IN EPHESUS. AND DESCRIBE WHAT THE EPHESIANS WERE DELIVERED FROM.
By the way, the number of man is said to be 666, but doing some research, I found out the number 666 really means a man who acts like a beast. 666 also means the number of satan and the antichrist.
Continuing on in the same mode of putting off and putting on which Paul began in Eph.4:22, he now lists some more things to put on and put off.
a. we are to put on love – v. 2
b. but we are to put off the world’s corrupt idea of love.
c. which is nothing more than a mere brute beast, sexual mentality
A list of things to put on:
1. STRENGTH (Isa 52:1) Awake! Awake! Put on your strength, Zion; put on your beautiful robes, O Jerusalem, the holy city.
2. ZEAL (Isa 59:17) For He put on righteousness like a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on His head and a cloak of zeal.
3. ARMOR OF GOD- Is 59:17, Eph 6:13-18 (Eph. not really OC but all the verses say having) – We are told to put on every day but every part is Jesus; you are already clothed in Him. Take advantage of this. We will teach more on this in Eph. 6
4. PUT ON CHRIST – GAL 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
5. NEW MAN – Ephesians 4:24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
6. ROBE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS- Is. 61:10
7. GARMENT OF PRAISE- Is. 61:3 – Garments represent all outward attitudes and external appearances. Garment are the symbol of who we are and how we present ourselves. Garments speak of our outer man, our actions, what others perceive of us.
8. GARMENT OF SALVATION-Is 61:10
9. TENDER MERCIES (kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering, fruit of Spirit)
1 Thessalonians 5:8-10 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.
11. HUMILITY – 1 Peter 5:5 gives instructions on the kind of clothing which is pleasing to our Beloved: ‘Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility for God sets Himself against the proud but gives grace to the humble.
12. MERCY AND TRUTH
Prov. 3:3-4 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.
13. THE ADORNMENT OF THE BRIDE OF CHRIST
I have a teaching on this if you would like — email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Luke 6:45 “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.