LESSON 4- Ephesians
The Mystery- Revelation
Our Inheritance in Christ Continued
Eph. 3:17 – that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
3:17 – This will impact your faith with capacity to fully grasp the reality of the indwelling Christ. You are rooted and founded in Love. Love is your invisible inner source just like the root system of a tree and the foundation of a building. (The dimension of your inner person exceeds any other measure that could possibly define you.) Mirror Translation
Belief in Christ is required. Belief in the Word of God is required.
The process of maturing is as follows:
1. God the Father provided the written revelation of His thinking. “We have the mind of Christ.” 1 Cor. 2:16
2. Communicators (5- fold leaders) teach the Word for the purpose of bringing us to maturity (Ephesians 4:11 to 16). (equipping) They activate, train and release or help put into application. The local church is the principal environment for learning doctrine, growing in grace and releasing those in the Great Commission.
3. The Holy Spirit dwells in us. We are filled with the Spirit (spiritual), the Spirit teaches us and brings us to understanding of those things which are “spiritually discerned.” This understanding is GNOSIS, knowledge in the mind of the spirit (heart). Knowledge in the soul (mind) is temporal and subject to change. (head knowledge)
4. Once a principle of Scripture is understood, a believer has a choice, whether to adopt the teaching, believer the teaching, obey the teaching – in short, “faith” is required. Faith, in effect, causes the transfer of truth from the mind to the “heart”. Head knowledge becomes heart knowledge through the exercise of faith. Once an unbeliever understands the gospel, he must make a choice. Faith in the gospel brings about regeneration and all that is associated with it. By grace through faith are you saved. Eph. 2:8-9
When a Christian understands a Bible principle, a choice must be made. Faith in a promise brings about claiming the promise. Faith in a command brings about obedience to the command.
It is absolutely vital that you always stay positive to Bible truth. But here is where the spiritual tragedies occur. Believers who have heard Bible teaching and understand it through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, understand that revelation comes by knowing that the faith of God resides in you. Your spirit bears witness.
5. Rom 8:16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
The “roots” of doctrine in the “heart” become part of the foundation and building that is growing in the believer’s soul (EPIGNOSIS). The “edifice” is in the process of construction. And a Biblical frame of reference is formed in which Bible truth becomes the basis for understanding deeper truth. Bible principles are stored in the heart to make a believer ready for any contingency which requires godly decision making or problem solving.
6. Releasing into Ministry- an important step which is sadly missing in most churches or organizations.
The Great Commission is: Matthew 28: 18 – 20 – And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go [c]therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
7. Maturing into mature fathers and mothers. After being equipped and released (ongoing process) one matures int a mentoring position. The Word teaches that both mothers and fathers are to exercise leadership in the nurture, training, discipline and teaching of their children (Exod. 20:12; Lev 19:3; Deut. 6:6-9, 21:18-21, 27:16; Prov 1:8, 6:20; Eph 6:1-4; Col 3:20; 2 Tim 1:5; see also Luke 2:51). It is the same with spiritual children.
1 Cor 4:15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers (mothers); for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
Eph.3:17b that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
“that you being rooted and grounded” “Rooted” is the perfect passive participle of RHIZOO, “to take root.” “Grounded” is the perfect passive participle of THEMELIOS, “to lay a foundation.” The perfect tense points to that teaching which resides permanently in the soul. That is the growing process, mind renewal process.
The passive voice shows that the believer receives the action of the verb, that it is God that plants and roots the doctrine. This activity is a Grace gift; the believer receives these benefits from the Lord. The participle indicates that this is a law of God.
“in love” – EN plus the instrumental of AGAPE. “By means of love.” Romans 5:5, Galatians 5:22.
Eph.3:18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—(of His love)
Next verse says: Eph. 3:19 “and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.”
3:18 This is your reservoir of super human strength which causes you as saints to collectively grasp (come to terms with, make one’s own) the limitless extent of His love in breadth, in length, in height (rank), and the extremities of its depths. Mirror
“to comprehend” – aorist middle infinitive of KATALAMBANO, “to seize; to lay ahold of. A believer has every grace opportunity to benefit fully from divine provision and strength. There is benefit from acquiring EPIGNOSIS, “full and applied knowledge” of Bible truth. The believer must wholeheartedly and forcefully “seize” truthful doctrine.
Paul then poetically notes the extent of God’s love, including every possible physical dimension. He used similar wording in Romans 8:38–39: “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” The Old Testament often used “height and depth” regarding measurements. Paul used these figurative terms in relationship to God’s love that cannot be measured, though believers can grow in their understanding of God’s love.
Width – language used in shadowing forth the greatness, extent, and number of the blessings received from Christ.
Length – of number and quantity, equivalent to numerous, large: ἀγέλη, Mark 5:11; abundant
Depth – thickness- fathomless-broad place- same word as used in Ps. 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Height – rank – your position in Christ
This is Paul’s constant prayer.
John 8:32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth (that you know) shall make you free.
We will continue with Lesson 4 next week.
The blessings of the Lord are upon you whether by blood, adoption/sonship or assignment. The blessing of the LORD makes a person rich, and he adds no sorrow with it. Prov. 10:22